Friday, February 20, 2004

trials and tribulations - Keeper becomes Prat

Errrrrrrr. Penned a blog last week in draft form only to discover it didn't save. Was so annoyed I blanked the blog for several days. Wonder if it got the message. Thus have learnt never draft. Be brave - post and publish in one swift movement.

So, life was going swimmingly well, all things considered until early this week, when suddenly things have nose-dived rather dramatically. The differences in the type of home that the Keeper and the Keepee have in mind simply do not match. This one not-exactly-insignificant difference has now illuminated all the other differences between us. The honeymoon, or actually the post-divorcemoon is over and now I think I remember why the hell we got divorced in the first place.

Quite simply he is a pompous British prat who thinks my entire role in life is to simply please him and his every whim. I'm supposed to dress for him - this rules out my fabulous furr which he deems not appropriate pub wear. Of course I dissagree vehemently - has he never heard of ironic chic. My fabulous furr and my beaten-up old jeans look great together; talk about topics of interest only to him i.e. the state of British cricket; go to restaurants only of his choosing - this gets incredibly tiresome as the man is willing and capable to eat thai food seven nights a week from the local around the corner that noone else seems to go to and has interrogation lighting - under which the Keepee then gets grilled on cricket.

Arrrrr. So I'm fed up and contemplating my next move. I have to take stock, write lists (something the Keeper has taught me, for which I am grateful) and then act. I think the most sensible thing, as well as where I would rather be anyway - well maybe not until it warms up - is to move back to New York.

Anyway before I start that list I have to take the Keeper's (whom from this moment on is going to be called Prat) shirts to the drycleaner and call the thai restaurant to make sure we can get our usual table - you can't be too sure, it is after all Friday and perhaps there will be the other odd diner.