Monday, March 15, 2004

Beware the foxing soybeans (modern day same same beware the Ides of March)

Never a fan of the overnight flight to London (even when you can do the flat bed business), I plumped for the day flight. Just my timing however, when I find myself in bed with someone rather dishy, (who cooks his two night stand breakfast no less). My only tip for this fabulous lover is to get some real eggs. I know egg white omelets are girl friendly and low fat, but hey when it's yellow and served with a hearty ration of bacon with the rind slash fat left on - you make a mental note to do an extra 20 mins on the bike that night, and tuck in. Or, in my case when you've spent the majority of the night shagging you think a three egg omelet is good for you. This however was a trick. Hmm funny texture I thought. Proudly I was informed that in fact it wasn't egg at all - clearly mistaking my bemused expression for relief at dodging the cholesterol I was told that in fact it was soybeans, foxing at being an egg.

The soybean invasion continued. The egg-in-soybean disguise was Friday morning's discovery. Sunday night at my friend's birthday party, (a fabulous Belgi born on the Ides of March) the soybean reared again. Back to the Ides of March - this being an unlucky date - just ask Julius, the Belgi only celebrates the day before or after. After poo pooing her superstition I then learnt that three years in a row she was fired from her job on the very day. Poor poppet no wonder she was a little sweaty, the fourth year firing anniversary was less than 12 hours away.

However I digress back to the soybeans. A platter of incredible European cheeses puddled around (the Brie and Camembert hogging a lot of platter space) a barely touched semi-firm white mound. A great discussion was held - was it Fetta, no, it was Ricotta, no not that either. It struck me that it must have been another soybean product. Tasting it - boring. Texture hmm very similar to the omelet. I made my declaration and the Vegans moved in with evangelical fervour. Suspicion was then aired over a number of not-quite mousse, not-quite cheesecake cakes. Obviously there are no soybean food mountains to protest about.

A bit more information re the Soybean omelet Lover. My flight was out of Newark at 8am. Sprinting from his upper east side apartment to a taxi and downtown to Union Square I then had 15 minutes to get my shit together (note I had actually packed the day before hoping for Sunday night assignation with SOL). Thus just enough time to walk in on a passed out nude Papist, grab my bag and make the car to the airport.

All in all a fab NY adventure.