Sunday, March 07, 2004

Busy bee

Am going to NY tomorrow - yippee. Prat is going somewhere to, but don't know where and I really don't care. Obviously the birthday weekend wasn't great. Promising start Friday night. In the pub for a few glasses of wine and a spot of casual dinner - a bit too casual for Prat. Had a group of Euros plonk themselves on our table ie/ sitting on table, not at table and were busy photographing each other on their new mobile phones with camera facility. Anyway Prat, being a prat slapped one on the bottom and I thought "Oh my God - we're going to have a punch up". Unfortunately the Euro was weedy and thus scurried off instead of squaring up. Think I would have been barracking for weedy Euro.

Saturday we did indeed go to the country. Prat is now looking at country pads. He fancies himself as a bit of a Squire. I don't. Feeling frisky and charitable, motioned to Prat for a bit of a roll in the hay, in a shed on the property of one of the converted barns we viewed. Thus the daylight hours were quite jolly.

Came back to London for Saturday night, as I'd booked dinner at London's premier Thai restaurant Nahm in The Halkin hotel. I know, I know, thai when I have to eat it the other six days a week. But hey it is Prat's favourite food, or so I thought. I was being thoughtful and gracious for his birthday. Anyway I should have known better. Prat gets into argument with waitress over menu and me over wine list. Indignantly he declares that both I and waitress are "up our own arses". Hmm he is the most arrogant tosser I've come across in a while. Not that I've come across many others. Seem to be hanging with Thai restauranteurs, real estate agents who fawn and the launderer (another Thai and very nice) - yet to meet a horrid Thai.

However, diffused situation - placated Prat with suggesting he choose all food to pass our lips and wine to quench the heat. I slipped out to the bar (pretending to need the toilet) for a nerve calming cigarette and shot of tequila. Incidentally whilst there for all of five minutes I did manage to chat to a very nice and cute non-prat. Dinner progressed well enough all though I was quite miffed when Prat, scoffing all food in nanoseconds started doing his head roll and shoulder wiggle. Poor baby was tired and wanted to go home. People it was 10pm. Thought about seeing Prat to a taxi and going back to bar but realised that I didn't have any house keys and knowing Prat - he'd not hear me buzzing at 2am. Didn't fancy sleeping on the front step. Thus took a deep breath and mantraed "beauty sleep, beauty sleep" all the way home. Did almost stab Prat with Manolo stilly heel however when he informed me that he was actually "quite sick of thai for the moment!" - spoken in his most pompous tone. Went to bed hungry and seething but thinking "beauty sleep, beauty sleep".

Sunday (early) and a new day. Went to yoga to see David, my guru, who remarked how refreshed I looked. Felt much calmer after much ohmming and hssing through nose - or perhaps it was just being incredibly light headed from not much food, yoga in 90 degrees and postures involving nose to navel whilst in an inverted headstand.

All good yoga practice and (Prat imposed) fasting results have now been dashed. After yoga went to brunch with good French friend for Eggs Benedict and several Bloody Marys. Feel much more like the real me.